Granite is a porous material that must be sealed in order to minimize staining. Granite countertops must be sealed every six months to two years to minimize staining.
Sealing granite is not a guarantee against staining. Wine, coffee, grape juice, etc. can stain your granite. Appropriate care should be taken. Granite is the hardest of natural stones that we are currently working with. It is the most resistant to scratching or chemical etching. This is not to say that you cannot damage granite by scratching or etching.
As a rule of thumb, we do not recommend cutting on any granite countertop surfaces; we strongly suggest using a cutting board to avoid scratching the surface of the countertop.
Avoid the use of abrasive cleaners.
Avoid prolonged exposure to oils and oil-based products.
Avoid Extreme Heat.
Extreme heat can be generated from transferring a cooking utensil from a burner to the countertop. It is possible to develop a crack in granite from too much heat. A good rule of thumb is to use trivets, coasters and hot pads.
Granite kitchen countertops are easy to clean and maintain with soap and water, or glass cleaning products like Windex or other cleaning products containing vinegar.
Caution should be used when handling or storing any of the listed products. You should follow label instructions.
Caution must be used for the following:
- Products containing oils or powder – may leave a residue.
- Repetitive exposure to extreme heat – may damage the polished finish.
- Oven cleaners, Drano, Liquid Plumber, and floor strippers – may damage the polished finish.
- Use of oven/grill cleaner – may cause discoloration to the granite and should be avoided.
To Clean Difficult Spots:
- Soak affected area with one of the recommended cleaning products for up to 10 minutes.
- Scrub the area.
- Bleach may be applied for up to 5 minutes.
- Re-apply recommended stone sealer as needed to the affected area.
Avoid Outdoor Sunlight Exposure
Continuous long-term exposure to direct sunlight [UV rays] may result in slight discoloration of stone countertops. Most indoor applications will not be affected.
We carry a full line of granite care and maintenance products at our showroom in Lakemoor.